The big day is coming and you should make all the necessary arrangements so as to minimize the stress of the moment your baby will arrive. Being ready to leave for maternity, with all the things you are going to need for you and your baby, will help you stay calm. As you already know, your little miracle might surprise you with an earlier arrival than the one scheduled by your doctor. It is wise to have the bag prepared and ready to take with you from the 36th week, next to the door ... and ready to go!
Below you will find a list with the essentials you need to take with you.
- Documents for your admission in the maternity clinic (Identity card,health booklet etc.)
- Nightgown, robe, comfortable socks and slippers.
- Contact lenses and glasses (if you wear them).
- A tie/ribbon for your hair (if long).
- A toiletry bag with items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap or body wash, shampoo.
- A camera and/or video camera (find out if you are allowed to film in the area where childbirth takes place).
- A towel and 2 flannels for compresses (some maternity clinics provide them).
- Breastfeeding bras and breast pads.
- Special sanitary towels and disposable underwear, if not provided by the maternity clinic.
- A triangular shape pillow (it may be more convenient for breastfeeding).
- The essential items for the baby vary depending on the maternity clinic you choose. Ask whether the maternity clinic provides clothes and diapers for the baby. If so, you will only need the clothes for when you leave the clinic; otherwise take some tank tops, sleep suits, socks, cap, blanket and bed sheet.
- Cream (recommended by your doctor or the midwife) for the prevention and treatment of wounded nipples due to breastfeeding.
- Prefer sleep suits and bodysuits that can be easily worn, with comfortable openings for the baby's head.
- A laundry bag.
- Your mobile phone and charger.
- Comfortable clothes and flat shoes for when you leave the maternity clinic.
- Your identity card (inquire about any other official documents you will need to declare the birth of the baby and can be submitted by your partner on the next day).
- A book or whatever will make you relax during the hours you will not be with your baby.